I was recently asked about what are the 42 steps I was referring to and this post should answer that question.
Special thanks to “Dealer Training” for allowing me to reprint the entire lesson in return for my giving credit and sharing an ad and link to their site. I still use many of their practice exercises before going to work.
Lesson 1 – 42 Step Dealing Process
Dealing Hold Em is in essence a process – a series of steps woven together to seamlessly execute an entire hand of poker. This chapter outlines the 42 step dealing process from the start of one hand to the start of the next. Each hand you deal will follow this process.
1. Scramble – during the scramble request blinds to be posted. Confirm the button is in proper position.
2. Square the deck
3. Riffle the deck
4. Riffle the deck
5. Box the deck
6. Riffle the deck
7. Cut the deck
8. Pickup the deck – place it in your left hand in the underhand dealers grip.
9. Tighten the deck
10 . Pitch the cards – start with the small blind and work your way around the table in a clockwise fashion. Continue dealing until each player has two cards. The button receives the last card - except in cases of misdeals or if a card is accidentally exposed.
11. Commence and complete the first round of betting – action starts to the left of the button and moves aroud the table clockwise. Allow the first player a few moments then give a slight nod in their direction letting them know ‘it’s your turn’. If the player still does not respond politely say to them “your action”.
12. The players’ actions will determine your action – a player will take different actions depending on the situation. As one player announces their action it continues to around the table until each player has announced their intentions. During all rounds of betting players will check, bet, raise or fold and you will collect mucked cards, create the muck, announce the action, collect bets, create the pot, create side pots, count bets, cut chips and calculate the rake.
13. Follow the action around the table – everyone should act in turn. Do not forget the blinds on the first round of betting.
14. Announce the number of players still in the hand
16. Burn a card
17. Spread the flop
18. Commence and complete the second round of betting
19. Announce the number of players still in the hand
20. Tap the table - tap, tap
21. Burn a card
22. Deal the turn
23. Commence and complete the third round of betting
24. Announce the number of players still in the hand
25. Tap the table - tap, tap
26. Burn a card
27. Deal the river
28. Remove the cut card
28. Place the remaining deck face down in a small fan on top of the muck
29. Commence and complete the fourth and final round of betting
30. Request winning hands to be shown – players are responsible for flipping their own cards face up. Typically a player will take the lead and flip their cards over first. Other players will then either fold or flip their cards up. Send folded hands to the muck immedieatly.
31. Read the board
32. Announce the current winning hand
33. Push the board cards forward to display the winner
34. Muck the losing hand
35. Compare any other live hands one at a time – move the board cards to display the new winning hand. Muck any additional losing hands.
36. Push the pot
37. Flip the winning hand and the board cards face down
38. Move the button
39. Request blinds be posted
40. Drop the rake
41. Collect your tips
42. Thank the player
Repeat the process.